From Monday 1st July, the Parliamentary Secretary for Carers has announced that there will be half-priced public transport for carers.
The details for these new changes are listed below:
From 1st July 2019, Victorians holding a Victorian Carer Card and Carers Myki will be able to obtain:
- A 50% discount on trains, trams and buses, including V/Line trains and coaches.
- Free weekend travel in any two consecutive zones and on regional town buses.
- Two free travel vouchers in your welcome pack when you apply for your Carers Card, plus two more each year. Vouchers can be redeemed for:
o A Day Pass for a day’s unlimited travel in Zone 1+2, at a metropolitan premium station or PTV Hub
o An off-peak V/Line single or day return, at a staffed V/Line station or ticket agent.
- Free travel during Carers Week (13th – 19th October 2019)
From 1 July 2019, carers can attend a staffed station to obtain a Victorian Carer myki card to access these travel benefits in myki areas.
For regional town buses that do not have myki, Carers can show their Victorian Carer Card for free weekend travel within the town.
You must have a Victorian Carers Card issued by the Department of Health and Human Services. To obtain a Carers Card you must be a resident of Victoria and either:
- the primary carer of a person with a disability, severe medical condition or mental illness, or someone who is frail, aged or in need of palliative care
- or a foster, kinship or respite carer.
To apply for a carer card, go to: https://carercard.vic.gov.au/apply-card
To know more information about the myki discount for carers read more here: https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/concessions-and-free-travel/dhhs-carer-card/