Ecstra Foundation granted AMCS with funding for the Money Talks for Better Ageing project, which aims to strengthen the financial wellbeing of culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) seniors. The program provides equitable access to information and resources about financial abuse for seniors to make informed financial decisions, either by themselves or with family or carers.
Facilitated by Seniors Rights Victoria, Financial Counselling Victoria and local financial counsellors, the project successfully completed two co-design online workshops with more than 100 CALD seniors from metropolitan Melbourne. The first co-design workshop Money Talking Day provided a platform to:
- capture seniors’ stories of financial mistreatment
- share any concerns and experiences
- explore seniors’ understanding on financial risks with abuse
- discuss challenges in accessing information and resources with like-minded people.
The second co-design workshop, Your Money-Your Safety empowered individuals to co-create actionable solutions with financial experts.
Through both workshops, we discovered the many challenges in CALD seniors’ day-to-day activities:
- No confidence to ask for help
- Technology inexperience
- Difficulty in accessing information due to language barriers
- Lack of knowledge on multilingual resources.
To join our workshops, please contact our project coordinator: Isurika on firstname.lastname@example.org