Frequently Asked Questions

In some countries, children are often the primary caregivers. In Australia, Government funding is available to those who are eligible to receive support. Starting this process can seem daunting but we are here to help. Whether you have low or higher needs you will need to start with “My Aged Care”. See the link below to see what services are available to help you (or your loved one) live independently and stay in your own home. Find out more.

There is a simple online form to assess your eligibility through the “My Aged Care” website. It will take you through each step to see if you qualify for a first assessment. Find out more.

No. There are no exclusions from services based on citizenship, residency status or eligibility for Medicare support.

Non-Australian residents are not excluded from entitlements under the Aged Care Act 1997 (Cth) and Visa holders do not require a Medicare Card in order to access a comprehensive assessment.

In the event that a non-Australian resident client requests advice from an assessor regarding what fees and payments they may be required to contribute towards their home care or residential care services, they should be advised to complete an income or means assessment to determine their contribution. This applies for all clients who wish to receive Government assistance with the cost of their care, regardless of residency status. For further information click here: 

My Aged Care is part of the Australian Government. It was established to help you find and access the right government-funded aged care services.

MAC Umbrella Graphic

You will start with calling My Aged Care at 1800 200 422, ask for an interpreting service if you need one and explain to the agent what your needs are. After an easy registration of your personal details, contact details and needs, My Aged Care will organise an assessment appointment of your needs, at your home. An Assessor will decide if you can access the first level support (CHSP) or the Home Care Package (HCP) Program and once you’re assigned a referral code for services, you are able to choose a “preferred provider” to provide you with those services and that’s where we come in! Find out more.

my age care steps

For more information about My Aged Care, please click here.

An approved provider is an organisation that has been approved to deliver Australian Government-subsidised (funded) home or residential care services to eligible Australians. We are the company that you choose to deliver and manage the services you need.

No. Home Care means care and services are delivered directly to you in your home. We help seniors to live independently in their homes for as long as possible. We provide help from low level needs to high level needs. Our goal is to care for, support and empower you to continue living your life to the full.

There are two government support programs for aged care help at home. For entry-level lower care needs, the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) is often provided first. There is a small out of pocket contribution required per hour of service delivered. Find out more.

The next step up and for more complex care needs is the Home Care Packages (HCP) program. Most providers will aim to ensure that all your needs are covered by the government funding based on the level of package assigned to you from My Aged Care. However, if your needs exceed the amount of funding provided, you may be required to top-up your package as needed. Find out more.

Depending on your care needs, an assessment (organised through My Aged Care) will determine what program is suitable for you.

Please find your “Getting Started” resource in your language below:

A Home Care Package is an allocation of funds from the government to help you or your loved one access affordable services to get some help at home. It can include:

  • Bathing, hygiene and grooming
  • Nursing
  • Podiatry, physiotherapy and other therapies (also known as Allied Health)
  • Meals and food preparation
  • Help with impairments or continence
  • Cleaning, laundry, and other chores
  • Home or garden maintenance
  • Transport
  • Aids to stay independent
  • Social outings, groups and visitors

Yes. We provide both options of Home Care, entry-level, otherwise known as Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) and more complex support known as a Home Care Package (HCP).
An example of the letter you will receive with your referral code is below. For CHSP services, you will receive 1 referral code for each service that you have been approved for.


  • Domestic Assistance 1-xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Personal Care 1- xxxxxxxxxx.

If you have been approved for a Home Care Package, you will receive 1 referral code and it will be highlighted in red:

E.g. Home Care Package level 1 – referral code: 1-xxxxxxxxxxx

If you already have a referral code from My Aged Care for one of these options, please contact us on the below information:

If you are unsure, please contact our reception at (03) 9689 9170

If you are approved for CHSP your referral letter will look like the below

Image retrieved from Department of Health website (page 13)

If you have been approved for a Home Care Package (HCP) your referral letter will look like the below

As a multicultural organisation we have staff who speak upwards of 45 languages. We do our very best to pair people who speak the same language as we understand the importance of culture, communication, diversity and respect.

No. All packages are case managed.

For people on a Home Care Package (HCP) our Care Advisors manage your services and funds. Our Care Advisors come from a range of professional backgrounds such as medical, nursing, social work and community development these include a variety of professional qualifications to ensure your safety and quality care. The Care Advisor oversees the budget, your care plan reviews, referrals to other services e.g., nursing or allied health – as required. They assist in the day-to-day concerns of you or your loved one’s care and provide relevant advice to your enquiries. They will also be an overall support system in matters related to you or your loved one’s care.

No. Australian Multicultural Community Services (AMCS) does not charge an exit fee if you choose to transfer to another provider.

No. Government guidelines restrict the use of package funds, and every provider is bound by these restrictions. If you have questions about what the package funds can be used for, your Care Advisor is happy to help to talk you through it.

If you are receiving a pension plus an overseas pension, are a part pensioner or are a self-funded retiree, you will most likely be asked to contribute an income-tested fee. Services Australia calculates this fee. If an income-tested fee is identified, it must be paid to your provider monthly and via direct debit. It will be added to the funds received from the Department of Health for your package and will be reflected in your monthly statement.

We recommend contacting Services Australia prior to accepting or signing your Home Care Package with any provider if there is any doubt about your pension status.

You can call Services Australia on 1800 227 475 or Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) on 1800 555 254 and ask for a pre-commencement letter for home care. Services Australia (or DVA) will have sufficient information to calculate your maximum home care fees payable.

For self-funded retirees the easiest way to complete an income assessment is to use form “SA486”. This can be found online by searching “SA486” at

You can also request a hardcopy copy of the “Home Care Package Calculation of Your Costs of Care” form (SA456) to be sent to you by calling Services Australia on 1800 227 475.

For further information on fees and budgets, click here.

In 2022, The Fair Work Commission finalised its 4-yearly review of the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry (SCHADS) Award. Changes to the client cancellation clauses were made, expanding the timeframe to 7 days. All providers whose workers are employed under the SCHADS Award are now required to implement these changes.

If you already have a referral code from My Aged Care for either the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) or the Home Care Package (HCP), please contact us on the below information:

If you are unsure, please contact our reception at (03) 9689 9170

If you do not have a referral code, are living in the Western or Northern suburbs of Melbourne, and would like help understanding the process please contact Sinisha at 0487 202 560.

Alternatively, if you do not have a referral code and are just getting started, please visit My Aged Care website.

AMCS offers the following CHSP Services:

Western Metro Suburbs:

  • Domestic Assistance:
    • General House Cleaning
    • Grocery Shopping & Delivery (Unaccompanied Shopping)
  • Personal Care
    • Showering
    • Toileting
    • Dressing
    • Grooming
    • Prompting of medications
  • Transport Assistance
  • Allied Health Services
    • Occupational Therapy
    • Physiotherapy
    • Podiatry

Northern Metro Suburbs:

  • Domestic Assistance:
    • General House Cleaning
    • Grocery Shopping & Delivery (Unaccompanied Shopping)
  • Personal Care
    • Showering
    • Toileting
    • Dressing
    • Grooming
    • Prompting of medications
  • Transport Assistance
  • Home Modifications